Tuesday 29 November 2011

Quinoa Supergreen Salad

   In my quest to find new gluten free things to feed the family, I came across several discussions of quinoa (keen-wa).  I didn't even know how to pronounce it at first, never mind what to do with it!  I Googled recipes, and came across this one on the BBC Good Food site Quinoa Supergreen Salad.  A bit of tinkering, and I made it suit us.  The children tried it, but weren't keen on the avacado.  Ruth loved the soya beans though, and eats them as a side dish to other meals now.  John and I really enjoyed it though, and this dish full (above), was my dinner that day - and I managed almost the whole lot, which is pretty good for me at the moment.

Ingredients
50g Quinoa
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 small avocade, diced
1 lemon, juiced
100g frozen soya beans (edamame)
100g frozen peas
1/2 small bunch parsley, chopped
1/4 cucumber, diced
Olive oil
Salt to season

Method
1. Cook the quinoa following the pack instructions, drain, rinse under cold water then drain completely.
2. Add the spring onions, avacado and lemon juice to a bowl and season with salt.
3. Blanch the soya beans and peas for 2 mins, drain and rinse, then add to the bowl.
4. Add the quinoa, cucumber and parsley to the bowl, pour over a few tablespoons of olive oil, and toss everything together.

Can be served as a side salad, or even a light meal.  Tasty, and packed with nutrients in all those wonderful superfoods.

2 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious: had been looking for something different to do with quinoa (I tend to eat it warm with vegetables and prawns, with lime and coriander). Will try it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex, it was really tasty, and my husband has already asked to have it again which is a good sign!

    ReplyDelete